Friday, March 02, 2007

First one to see Mt. Diaaaablo!

That was the winner's cry when I was growing up. We lived in Clayton (California) at the foot of the very beautiful Mt. Diablo. Every morning we'd have breakfast in front of a big window looking out over the mountain. Winter time we always looked for snow on the mountain and in spring we'd always trek out across the little hills for a climb up Mt. Diablo. As kids we thought we were really up there, but looking at the mountain now, no way. We also rode our bikes over the now horrifying to me Ygnacio Valley Road and tried to ride up Mt Diablo, neighborhood kids on sting-rays and other regular old bikes. I can't believe now that we really rode all over like that because the thought of coasting down Ygnacio Valley road at some crazy speed makes me realize how lucky we are to be alive.

Anyway, whenever we went on long rides or off on vacation, on the way home it was always about being the first one to see Mt. Diablo. Yesterday in Clayton the mountain was so beautiful with its dusting of snow. I don't often see it from the same angle as my youth. Living in Livermore we're on the other side of Mt. Diablo . Always though in my head I'm saying "First one to see Mt. Diaaablo".

8 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

So pretty! I'm lovin' seeing the bits of snow on the hills over in your direction.
While you beat me to see Mt Diablo, bet I'm first today to see Brushy Peak!

7:24 AM  
Blogger Shelina said...

That is a sweet story Pam. I think sometimes not knowing is better for you. Now we worry too much.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Pamela said...

WOW what a gorgeous picture. I am 48 and I remember lots of long childhood days where we took off on our bikes and explored EVERYWHERE. (Nothing as beautiful as that mountain, though.) Moms always knew that we would show up back home 'round dinner time. We never spent a pretty day holed up in the house in front of video games, that's for sure. I think we were healthier physically and mentally for it. I feel kind of sorry for the kids nowadays that have never experienced that delicious, innocent freedom. Thanks for sharing, from another Pam!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Debby said...

Wonderful pictures. My hubby spent many a day at the top working on Mt. Diablo. He took some really nice pictures looking down if it was day time when he was up there.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to be able to see Mt. Diablo from our backyard in Antioch and used to eagerly wait to see snow on top in the winter. We love the season changes!

Living here in the Seattle area now we have our own version - Mt. Rainier and boy is it impressive. Snow year round!

6:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, everyone has sweet memories of The Mountain. Me, well... in high school on the last Friday of the month it'd be "Max Day" on The Mountain for those of us on the north gate side of it. A little picnic of Micky's and Old English 800. Not saying I participated... just saying what was going on. Ahhh... the 70's!

We too used to ride our bikes on Ygnacio! If our kids did that today they'd be seriously injured! Come to think of it, even back then it was a wild ride!

What wonderful memories you evoked Pam!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was just browsing through crafty blogs this morning when I found your post about Mt. Diablo. I live in Concord, very near Clayton, and the first thing I do every morning is come downstairs, turn on the coffee pot and look out the window to see how the mountain looks today! Thanks for another viewpoint! BTW, my dh still rides up the mountain on his bike!

8:20 AM  
Blogger Angelina said...

I really enjoyed this post. I did not live within view of Mt. Diablo, but my one sharp memory of it is when my mom took me and my brother up there one early spring morning so she could gather medicinal herbs for her herbology course and the whole mountainside was covered in naturalized daffodils all blooming yellow in the mist. It was gorgeous.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older