Monday, June 04, 2007

Sunday Driver

The first Sunday of the Month is the Antiques by the Bay show in Alameda. Elizabeth and I were on a mission to find some 'good stuff'. We weren't sure what that was going to be, but we wanted it. Thrill of the hunt. Bret came along as good company, driver and enabler. He likes shopping, and encourages me to buy buy buy!!! ( I know, really, how lucky am I???)

Now, just because.. seriously, how could you drive by this without whipping out you camera. This house has been in Oakland, gussied up like this, for as long as I can remember.


Here we are at the opening. The show opens at 9am for the regular folk, well people who either don't want to pay the additional money or who just can't get up. We're usually the latter. Lazy. It was cool and overcast at first, but it turned into a nice day out. And not that crowded.

This is strictly for Holly. She told me about her darling chipmunks at the LakeHouse. She mentioned the cats might be taking a little too much interest in the local wildlife. Out here my friends, the chipmunks can fend for themselves.


Again, how can you not take a picture of something like this??


We ran into Joanna and her pals a couple of rows into the show. She beat me to the punch on the blogging about it, I had no internet this morning!!! Here's Elizabeth getting a photo of Joanna talking about forgetting her camera.

And here's Joanna and Diana, one of her two shopping companions. They came prepared with Starbucks. I was a little envious of that, I should have scored a cup before entering but I like my hands free for grabbing up stuff. I'm greedy like that.




Ahh so what did I buy?

Sorry about the crappy photo. Every flat surface of my house is covered with stuff, so you have to be satisfied with my stained well used ironing board. Vintage Crepe Paper from Wendy Addison (I am so the name dropper), some really cool vintage state charms. I am totally going to start a collection of those for the states I've been too. (Wisconsin, Minnesota and Connecticut shown here, I have a lot of states to go.) I love charm bracelets. Some cool cherry shelf edging. I was hemming and hawing over it and Elizabeth managed to get the price down to $5. Even I can't resist that. Oh, and my little flower frog. I loved the size of this, I'm thinking pens, but more than likely I'll pile it up somewhere and not unearth it for months.

That's the story my little shoppers! How was your weekend?


26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to go back! This time maybe with a really large truck?
Love,
anonymous

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool finds! I really like the cherry shelf paper -- it just looks so fresh.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to stop at that little house in Oakland (but I've always been kinda scared to). Like there'd be some creepy old lady luring in unsuspecting suburban housewives with an oh so cute facade. Here my pretty... have a cup of coffee and some gingerbread. POOF. Walnut Creek has one less resident.

Hey... is that Antiques by the Bay on the old NAS Alameda? It seems like Adam and Jamie are cooking up some crazy antique myth to bust!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Happy Zombie said...

Just got my answer from their website. That is so cool about the whole thing!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff you found. Especially the cherry shelf paper. How cool is that? I too like charm bracelets. It's addicting to collect them.

7:57 PM  
Blogger MichelleB said...

Isn't it wonderful to have a friend like Elizabeth that you can do everything with! Girlfriends are great.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um. That. Shelf. Paper. Ak! Love!

9:07 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

I just sobbed when I saw that shelf paper. I have never been so jealous in my life. You better show us where you put it!!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are totally vamping out the sidekick 3's today. Sparkles her we come! And I want a salad, and graham crackers too.

3:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a chipmunk with a gun? No, seriously, is it? A chipmunk with a gun. Now, I have seen everything. :)

4:14 AM  
Blogger Ila K. said...

You can stay with me when you come to South Dakota. Or maybe you can imagine coming to South Dakota, it will be a much quicker way to get the charm. Not so much excitement to be had in SD as your trip this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Tips Of All Sorts said...

The sweet pink house is just so pretty. It's not a shop? :-)

Clara

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember that Oakland house. Isn't it near the Tube? I use to live in Alameda. Thanks for taking me back to the town I loved!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherry shelf paper? Geez thats adorable. My mom and I both collect charm braclets and I can not tell you how fabulous the idea of collecting vintagy state charms is. Love that idea!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh!!!! That cherry shelf paper is making me crazy - LOVE IT! I wish we had a decent flea market here in Seattle to find such treasures. Wouldn't that make an adorable apppliqued border? Hmmm.... DIBS! OK, that was a little evil...

2:59 PM  
Blogger Anne Sutton said...

I'm so jealous that I wasn't there. LOVE that place! Looks like you all did really well. I'll buy the shelf if you get tired of it. (:

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've GOT to get to that flea market some day. Last time I went was in the 70's & it was at a drive in then. Cool finds.

I've never seen that house in Oakland. Where is it?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Mary's Cottage Quilts said...

cool antiques place - I really must start checking out these places they look like a lot of fun
mary

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't do it without the coffee... gotta start the whole event at that Starbucks on the corner. But you're so right about the hands thing. You would have beat me in a race to grab the cutest thing, hands down LOL.

Looks like you guys both got some darling little items. Where on earth is the Wendy Addison booth? I'm so in the dark.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Angelina said...

My friend Lucille took me to that one once, there was so much stuff and I would love to go back again.

1:03 PM  
Blogger Morgan Moore said...

That sounds so awesome!!! Gads I'm jealous!!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm....stuff. Love it! Although I have to say the chipmunk is freaking me out, man. Weird. ~A :-)

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that rodent holding a gun or your phooshoping skills? BTW, lovely treasures!

10:01 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

sorry, but I am totally coveting the cherry shelf edging!

I'll make a deal with you...send me a 17" long piece and I'll send it and as many color copies of it as you want back!

I just adore cherry anything...(I'm a Door County kid...just ask Alex!)

And you know where else you can find a lot of cherry things???
Paris! weird, huh?

grins,
H2

5:54 PM  
Blogger The Chicken Lady said...

heh, Holly, I'm stuck in Door County right now and YEA, EVERYTHING is cherryish here.

Whoa, I hope my squirrels don't see the pic of the rodent with a weapon. We have one little squirrely here without half her tail. They are so violent WITHOUT guns.

That pink place is awesome! :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Pieceful Jane said...

Love, love, love the piggy banks! They would be a great addition to my collection.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older