Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Close call

So yesterday was all kinds of dramatic. I was headed over to Holly's for the day and I caught sight of the hummers sitting kind of high in the nest. They're pretty big now, and I thought I'd better get another photo just in case they flew off while I was gone.

7/2

7/2

Holy crap, the female (I think) gets all worked up and FLIES OUT OF THE NEST. I almost had a heart attack (standing on a chair, hanging onto the rain gutter with one hand and leaning way out to reach the nest. ) (Don't try that at home.) She fluttered her way down into a potted plant, and seemed unscathed by the experience. So I plucked her out of the leaves and plopped her back into the nest.

7/2

She gets all worked up again and by the time I step off the chair she's fluttering down again, this time behind the fountain.

7/2

The funny thing is she didn't fuss at all when I picked her up. So I popped her back into the nest again and then waited.

7/2

In few minutes and the mom came back and fed them and seemed to settle the adventurer into the nest again, so phew, I felt like I could leave. When I got home, everyone where was where they belonged, little birds down in the nest, mom kind of perched on top of them. Talk about lucky. Phew.

Thanks for the emails and comments about the radio show! You guys are just too nice! I can't wait to listen. I also want to remind you it's Christmas in July time over here First block is up, courtesy of Fiberosity

Ok, that's enough for one day right? xo

16 Comments:

Blogger suz said...

oh my Pam - my mouth is on the floor - and those photos - you held a hummingbird! That would make my year!

5:20 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Great photos....but it sounds like in a day or two they will be leaving the nest for good! So what's up at Holly's?

5:44 AM  
Blogger Melissa P said...

Wow! Talk about excitement. I'm glad no one was hurt in the shooting of these photos.

7:03 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Amazing post and pictures - you are very lucky to hold something so precious and I'm so pleased the little bird was OK.

7:30 AM  
Blogger Nanette Merrill said...

The story of the birds are fascinating really. They look so big in the next and then the one looks so tiny in your hand. It should be made into a story or something.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Kate D. Spain said...

a-MAZING!!! those birds are little miracles, and you held on in your hand...AND got a photo of it. What a beautiful moment in your life (and now mine. thanks for sharing it). xo

9:34 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Love your blog! I grew up in Livermore a few houses from Alex! Small world! Deb.

1:28 PM  
Blogger PatSloan said...

I can NOT believe they let you hold them!!!!! Amazing!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

I would have had a heart attack when she flew out of the nest!!! (Just about had one reading about it!)
Your pictures are wonderful! Hummingbirds are one of my favorite birds along with robins. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

You must be THE BIRD WHISPERER!!! I am floored!

6:50 PM  
Blogger Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

LOL! The Bird Whisperer - that was funny! Precious bird...so glad you got such wonderful pics!

5:04 AM  
Blogger donna said...

You make me laugh, but I am so glad you did not get hurt. The photos are perfect.
Hugs
donna

7:54 AM  
Blogger Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

PHEW is right!!!! You have that special touch, Miss Pam!!! Dr. PKM!!

xxo
and happy 4th,
Bex

5:11 PM  
Blogger Jenny Bonynge said...

Loving the hummer photos. Have never listened to the radio show...don't even know what it's about. Curious and will try to tune into it.Love your blog girl!

6:59 PM  
Blogger GardenOfDaisies said...

Oh, she is so tiny! Glad you got her back in the nest!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older