Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Wednesday

Hi there my sweet friends, good morning!  It's a great morning too!  Super excited to share my find with you!  I was out in the back doodling around and noticed some little birds swooping in under the eaves.  I have a lot of 'regulars' around the back yard that come in close, my hummingbirds still come to the feeder, although they nest elsewhere, a lovely pair of Black Phoebes that flit around  and often hang off the planter baskets, so it wasn't a surprise to have birds zooming in and out.


backyard nest
 
What did surprise me was discovering this nest!  It's right outside the sliding door to our bedroom, and we come and go through that door a lot with Peep. It's at eye level even!  But they don't care! 

backyard nest
 
The  little birds go deep into that sock like nest and you can see it shaking when they fly in.  They're still building, I see them coming in bringing little flower petals and other stuff. Who knows what it is.


backyard nest
 
This is the backside of it, the 'door' faces out, away from our door.

backyard nest
 
I sat in my swing and used my zoom to get some pictures of the birds. Just not quite sure what they are yet.  I had my bird books out yesterday watching, getting pictures, and trying to decide definitively. I'll let you know when I figure it out. Or maybe someone here will know.

backyard nest
 
They're very small, and they are fast. Soon my pink lemonade honeysuckle will be leafed out and they'll be hidden away. Now I just need to discourage that blue jay that keeps coming around.  That bird is a ruiner for sure.

backyard nest
 
So anyway, sometimes life just holds an embarrassment of riches and you don't even realize it. 
 
Ok, today I'm out and about, and then I 'll be back, and out back watching.  Maybe I'll even pull a few weeds while I'm at it.  What's on your agenda?

9 Comments:

Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

Is it a swallow? They love to build nests close to the house and keep the bugs away. They swoop and dive so quickly - it is hard to follow them with your eyes.
I was 'building' Tulip blocks yesterday. As our snow is waist deep in places behind our house and our spring bulbs will be 'awhile' in coming - I thought I'd bring some permanent ones inside :)!

6:35 AM  
Blogger circle r motel said...

For sure Blue Jays are trouble! We have Stellar Jays, which are in the Blue Jay family but live in the mountains. They are gorgeous. How can something that gorgeous be so mean!!

6:38 AM  
Blogger Junebug said...

Oh my, Oh my how lovely is the Cosmo floss. It arrived Monday and my goodness the feel of it is divine. Then what to my surprise but fabric. How did you know green is my favorite color. All the ideas are just swimming in my head as to how to use this. Thank you, Thank you!

6:52 AM  
Blogger ferne said...

Love your comment about life holding and embarrassment of riches. We do sometimes need reminding to look around and find the good that is all around us!

7:03 AM  
Anonymous melissa said...

Every spring I have to watch to make sure a robin doesn't make a nest on top of one of the flood light fixtures on the back of our house.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you. as a long time reader I know how upsetting the hummingbird episode was to you. Hope these little birds stay safe. Thank you for sharing your embarrassment of riches with us. your blog is such a joy to read.

8:35 AM  
Blogger Helen Philipps said...

How lovely to have a nest so close and to watch the little birds! We have a new bird feeder outside the kitchen and I am so enjoying seeing lots more little birds up close. This week I am sewing with some beautiful fabrics.....can you guess which ones?? Yes, they are Pam Kitty Garden ones......you did a lovely job on this line, I love them.
Helen xox

9:11 AM  
Blogger Bev said...

Sadly pulling weeds is not on my agenda...we have ice and snow. sigh I can't wait for spring! Love your birds. Last year I had bluebirds..the beautiful little birds with the red breast. Hope they come back! Enjoy your weather! XO

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a Western Kingbird.

S Bell

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older