Monday, November 09, 2015

Enchanted

Good morning friends! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! We had a lovely weekend here, sewing, reading, drinking coffee, errand running, does it get any better?  YES IT DOES!  When you wake up and find your backyard trees full of Cedar Waxwings!  This is the first time in quite a while that I've seen them, they usually fly through in a day and rarely ever to my backyard.  It felt pretty magical.  They stayed even though I crept outside with my camera, that one bird stayed on long after the rest flew off... maybe he was just tired or maybe he knew how much I loved seeing him.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

Cedar Waxwings
 
Speaking of magical, I was very lucky to receive a copy of Susan Branch's new book The Fairy Tale Girl to read and review. I just love Susan Branch, long time blog friends probably remember that Elizabeth and I met Susan at her Farm Sale way back in 2010. Doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago?  Five small years chock full of so much. 

The Fairy Tale Girl
 
I am not sure exactly what I though the book would be like.  But like Susan, it was completely charming.  It was filled with all the beautiful drawings and paintings and quotes and music (!) that we see on her blog, and in her other books.  But it was also so wonderfully nostalgic.  Although I didn't meet Tarzan or the Beatles, I grew up in California in the same era.  All the changes in the 60s and 70s she shared felt familiar.  I can remember what San Luis Obispo was like in the 70s, as we often visited my Great Aunt Millie and camped at Morro Bay State Park.  I felt transported back there.
 
I loved hearing about her move to San Luis Obispo, her long time friendship with Diana, and of course her life with Cliff, her boyfriend turned husband.  Lots of drama that felt so real when flying through the pages, waiting to find out what happened. I'd forgotten about those tender feelings of young adulthood, about life and boys and growing up.   But also many sweet stories like dropping of the rent and discovering the world of cooking and entertaining via her landlord.

The Fairy Tale Girl
 
I finished the book in a matter of two or three days, savored it all and when I closed it up I was already wishing that the second book, Martha's Vineyard, Isle of Dreams was waiting on my nightstand.  It's not like I don't know what happened but I'm hanging on every word. 
 
It was almost like being there.
 
Probably not the best book review in the world but honestly, I loved it.  Maybe you would love it to.
 
Ok, have a good week my favorite friends.  Tell me, what's new and exciting in your world! (which is what my mother always asks me when we chat on the phone)xo
 
 
 
Find the book here and here.
 
 

6 Comments:

Blogger mascanlon said...

Oh Pam, we are so connected! i got this book the week it came out...signed and all. I loved it too. I didn't grow up here, for me it was Chicago and I am a bit older (just a little...lol) If you haven't read her book "A Fine Romance" run off and get it. It will tide you over until "Isle of Dreams" arrives.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Well, I think that was a very good book review... you've planted a seed in my mind about tracking it down to read myself.

And your bird visitors! Swoon! I've had the honor, too, and it's such a thrill to see them. I think their visit to you must certainly be a happy omen, Pam.

New and exciting, here? I feel most excited about our cool weather, and all of the cozy projects it inspires.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Heartsdesire said...

Excellent book review, Pam. I received my signed copy last week and read it in three days. I tried to make it last longer, but kept turning the pages to see what was going to happen next. Like you, I love all things Susan Branch. So looking forward to the new book arriving in the spring. Nothing new and exciting in my world (southern tip of Vancouver Island), but hoping to get a lot of sewing done this week. Have a few Christmas projects to finish.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Miss Jean said...

I was fortunate to win a copy from Susan but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. I can't wait. Have you read A Fine Romance? It's magical!!!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Snickelfritz said...

Loved Susan Branch's new book. I grew up in that era also and her and her friend "stalking" the Beatles and getting to meet them was so funny. About the cedar waxwings. They do seem to be a magical bird that appears and disappears so suddenly. We had a bush full of berries outside our laundry room window and once I saw it completely full of cedar waxwings. They were there only for the day and never came back.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Beverly said...

We are on our way home from a week at Morro Bay. Wish I would have had Sisans book to read. Thanks for the review. I already knew I wanted to read it but now I will order it right away.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older