Thursday, November 12, 2015

Something to Talk About

I am back at these blocks again. Monday and Tuesday I sewed away and have 25 of them done.  I think we talked a little about the text back in this post IN FEBRUARY.  Wow people, when I set something aside I SET IT ASIDE.  But anyway I was looking for something kind of mindless to sew ON A RAINY DAY and basically these are just 4 patches and  did the trick.

garden3
 
Back in the day when I learned to quilt I was taught to just throw caution to the wind when cutting something directional,  like plaid for instance. It was pretty contrary to my sewing up to that point, coming at quilting from garment making.  But I embraced it.   I'm influenced by my quilting roots and tend to want to just chop into things and sew but also heavily influenced by the world around me where people are fussy cutting stuff like lives depend on it.. so obviously I'm hot mess of indecision. 

Flower Box

So...anyway I stitched up all the blocks I could with the text going all the same direction. I have 27 blocks, then another maybe half dozen or so that won't be going the same direction.  Of course laying out in a 5 x 5 layout I'm finding the limitations of  this method.   I'm probably going to throw caution to the wind and just layout them out in a pleasing manner direction be damned! 

Flower Box

What would you do? It would have been way easier if I had a gigantic wall where I could lay it all out in individual units and sew them together that way, but that's not an option. So I'll probably finish up the last of the blocks and lay them out the way that works out best.

Or, I'll set it aside and see what happens when I pull them out next time. Who knows.

Happy Day friends!

5 Comments:

Blogger magistra said...

It's a gorgeous quilt. Perhaps you could use the other direction blocks on the edges, facing towards that edge? Just make some more to go with each direction so that they could face that direction? Or just make the edge be topsy turvy while the middle is regimental? I would hate not to use the blocks. And I would especially hate it if that beauty didn't get finished. I know that I would love it either way, all straight or mixed directions. It really is such a gorgeous quilt 🙂 Now I want to make myself one!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Elaine K said...

So funny because I made my Fog City Kitty quilt with the text going all the same way... except I didn't. There were 2 blocks of the 25 that had boo boos in them, but I didn't catch it until final assembly! By then the blocks had been squared up and I just wanted to finish. And the quilt is square, so it has to be turned one way for it to be right side up! Sooo, unless it is for publication or it will bug you, my vote is mix it up! 😊💕

11:54 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Exactly the kind of thing I ponder for montfs and months til it falls off the table.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

Don't lay it aside too long :)! I know, this can bother me too, with directional print. Lay it all out, and see if it still bugs you after a few days then.....(throw caution to the winds)! Just kidding, but maybe some blocks are fine if laid sideways. I think you'll be fine. Love, love your blocks and the background you used with them!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Freda's Hive said...

How could it not be perfect with your fabric. I am looking forward to sewing everyday when I see what you are up to. Then I get home at night and it is dark, and I just veg. Gotta stop that.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older