Monday, April 11, 2016

Monday!

Good morning!  How are things with you this fine Monday morning?  I got a few things  done this weekend.  Here's my wrinkly looking Splendid Sampler block. Kimberly Jolly desgined this block for us and she's got a sweet story behind it that you can read about over at the Jolly Jabber. Then head over and download your block, just in case you haven't yet.  I had lunch with a friend this past week, and we talked a bit about sewing.  I'm going to try out her advice for lengthening my stitch a bit, maybe that will cure my problems with pulling.  I've tried the starching, and also pressing my seams open, nothing seems to really work for me.  Well I should say work for me consistently.  So I'll just keep chugging along.  I'm in persuit of a good looking flat block like I see so much of online, but you know what, if I can't get it, it's not going to stop me from sewing and enjoying myself. 


Splendid Sampler
 
Also on my agenda was trying out this star.  Way way back when I first started quilting Alex Anderson had a wonderful quilt she was teaching at the shop I worked at, it was a 54-40 or fight quilt.  At that time there were no readily available templates like there are now, and if there were, I didn't know about them because you know, the internet was in it's infancy.  You could just hop on and Google triangle in a square template an find a bunch of stuff.  I mean it's like it was the dark ages for pete's sake! 

Sizzix block
 
I ordered up this great die from Sizzix.  I like that it has not only the isosceles triangle, it also has the right triangles to turn it into a triangle in a square. The points are trimmed already which makes lining them up a breeze.  And while I'm pretty sure I have several rulers that I could do this with, I'm in love with the accuracy with the die cuts and how easy it is to line them up.  I couldn't be happier with how fast it was. 


Sizzix block
 
I've been toying with the idea of a navy and green quilt.. I've seen a lot of that combination lately in fashion and in quilts, so maybe I'll go that direction. Here's a few things I've saved on Pinterest.   But navy kind of sets me down the more patriaotic path so there's red, then I just can't help but add yellow and before you know it's all the PamKittyColors at once.   So before I start cutting I'm playing around on Photoshop to see what I like.  What do you think?
 
Ok, that's it for today!  Tell me what you're up to!  Have a great week! xo
 
 

4 Comments:

Blogger Libby said...

Love you block.

Thanks for the tip on the stitch lenghthening. I have the same problem, no matter how hard I try.

Have a great week !!

6:25 AM  
Blogger mascanlon said...

Nice blocks Pam! I too am just loving all the navy out these days but am only collecting and hoarding the fabric. No time to sew for a few weeks and my list is ever long already.there is a sweet spot for sure on stitch length...too long and it will all gather up and not so sweetly. Have a great week, we are off tomorrow for celebrations in Kansas City, a 21st birthday and a Bridal Shower! We do love our granddaughters and are so blessed.

6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your block and your blog. I just love your color choices. I was in a bit of a mood until I looked over your blog and the colors and design of things just put a smile on my face. Keep chugging along with the stitch length I am sure that will cure your problem.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Little Quiltsong said...

A navy and green quilt sounds really nice after seeing all your pinterest pictures. Perfect star block with all those long points. Love Kimberly's block and your fabric choices. I know......about those block wrinkles. I always have to watch to 'press' carefully with a hot iron - and not 'iron' back and forth - but even then......!

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



Newer›  ‹Older